Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sleepless Nights

I miss

Sleep!

I forgot about the days long ago when Katelyn was born and I was up nursing everything 3 hours, hoping, praying for a 4 hour stretch or longer. Now here I am again

hoping,

praying

that Brayden will begin to sleep a 4 hour stretch or longer. About 2-3 weeks ago Brayden started struggling with colic and acid reflux. He would have several crying episodes during the day and at least one in the middle of the night. He would scream, arch his back, kick his feet and it seemed as though nothing would soothe him. Having 1 baby I could sleep all day, but with 2 I couldn't.

I was loosing my sanity!

Finally, after spending 2.5 hours one night crying almost as much as Brayden I decided to have him checked by the pediatrician.

Colic. She confirmed my suspicions. She gave me a prescription and it's working. She told me I had to give up milk, my most favorite beverage. Brayden went back to sleeping 3 hour stretches, the crying uncontrollably stopped, and I was able to get more than 45 minute stretches of sleep. He still only sleeps in his swing or on my chest at night, but we're working towards "back to sleep." Katelyn was a tummy sleeper right from the start, she was strong, Brayden is even stronger, maybe I'll try tummy sleeping with him too.

All I know is that being a mommy of 2 is hard. My attention is constantly divided and there are times I just want to cuddle and enjoy my new baby - he's growing so fast - but it's hard because Katelyn has more needs right now than he does. I know this too shall pass and it will get better. I tell myself that often. Along with, "God help me be the best mother to both of my babies that I can be." Then I remember not to expect so much from myself. But at the end of the day I can't help but strive to be super mom.

Please pray for me, pray for Brayden. Pray that the meds will continue to work and that he'll grow out of the need for them soon. Oh and that I can drink milk again soon. The cravings are worse than pregnancy ones.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Aww Alissa... I will be praying with you! Sending Love!!!

Meygan said...

I'm not sure if you remember, but kylie had colic. I feel for you. And only a mom of a child who has colic knows how you feel. I will be praying for it to end quickly and for little brayden's acid reflex to stop asap. My doctor told me to put on my Ipod and tune out the crying. it was the best advice I ever got. There is nothing anyone can do for colic...it is so frustrating. You feel so bad for their little tummies but it is mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting! This to shall pass and God gives us strength when we didn't even know it was possible!