Thursday, June 19, 2008

We're Home!!

Yesterday Katelyn and I got discharged from Hoag. They said that I was recovering better than most from my c-section and told me that if I was feeling up to it I could go home, and then we got the ok from our pediatrician to take Katelyn home. Kyle and I were so excited! It's nice being in the hospital with all the nurses there to help you, but other than them bringing me food and my percacet, I didn't really need any other help. Katelyn latched on and was a beautiful breast feeder from the moment she was born. She fed for 45 minutes right after I delivered her. I can't even begin to describe to you how amazing it was to look down and watch her feed and know that not only had I fed and nurtured her while she was in my womb, but here I was now that she was born able to feed and nurture her. It was one of the most natural, amazing feelings I think I've ever had. I think that I was meant to be a mother and can't imagine doing anything else. What an amazing gift from God Katelyn is, and Kyle and I feel so blessed and excited that she's finally arrived. Kyle said he feels like he was just meant to be a dad, how amazing is that!!??

BIRTH STORY
Katelyn Renee Circle was born at 11:44p.m on June 15, Father's Day. I had started having close contractions on Saturday, but we decided to wait until Sunday around 11:00 to head to the hospital. After showering and getting ready we packed the car and were on our way. When we got to Hoag they hooked me up to a bunch of different machines to monitor my contractions and the baby's heart beat. They said they would watch me for 2 hours and then let me know if they were going to admit me. At first my contractions slowed when I got there, but they they started speeding up. So around 2:00p.m, they admitted me. I know they say you're not supposed to be able to talk, but despite the fact that my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart, Kyle and I were laughing and joking around while I sat on the medicine ball to relax through the contractions. Finally at 6p.m the nurse came in and said that I wasn't having a "hard" enough time so they gave me Petocine to speed up the contractions. Just as they were starting to get really difficult to handle the lady comes in to give me the Epidural. The Epidural was not as scary as I thought it would be, and didn't really hurt, although, I'm not sure how much I like not being able to feel the lower half of my body.

By about 9:15p.m. I was still not dilated enough and so they told me I should start considering a c-section, then an hour and a half later, as they were having me turn over Katelyn's heart beat dropped rapidly. All I remember is them having me turn back over, the nurse shouting all these codes, 4 nurses rushing in and then rushing me down to the operating room. Needless to say I was completely panicked and was shaking and crying. This was not how I pictured Katelyn arriving and I really didn't want a c-section. The recovery is pretty intense as far as I had heard. By the time we reached the operating room her heart rate had increased but I was still not dilated enough and they said that it would be another 8-10 hours of labor and her heart rate ran the risk of dropping again. Not wanting to face the possibility of loosing her again, we opted for the c-section. Not my first choice, but I didn't want to risk the life of my baby girl.

The c-section went well and Katelyn arrived in the world healthy and ready to eat. I nursed her right away for an hour.... it had to be the most amazing thing I've ever done! I feel as though I'm recovering quickly from this major surgery. I think I've even surprised myself. While I am doing all I can to take it easy, and it helps that my mom arrived yesterday to help out, I find myself enjoying piddling around my house.

Here are some pictures of Katelyn Renee at the hospital.














1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE these photos. Thank you for sharing such sweet moments of Katelyn's first minutes in your family. You look fabulous by the way! And how cute is Kyle? I love your little family and we are so excited for you guys. Keep the pictures coming, I love it.