Monday, September 14, 2009

Potty Training!

As many of you know I've been working on potty training the last couple of months. We've been teaching Katelyn about putting your pee pee and poo poo in the potty since she could sit up on her own. I would take her with me and show her the potty and talk to her about how big girls don't need a diaper they use big girl panties and pee pee and poo poo in the potty. Once she began walking if you told her you needed to go potty, she would run into the bathroom ahead of you and pat her hand on the toilet. Around the time she turned 1 I started putting her on our toilet before shower time to get her used to sitting up there by herself. I think this was an odd concept for her at first because she wasn't used to sitting on the "throne" herself. To be honest I think it also made her nervous that the hole was so big she felt like she was falling in, even though we were holding her. As she continued her curiosity with the potty, we decided it was time to get her one of her own. I've been researching the perfect potty for a couple of months. I wanted to get something I could put on the floor and get her used to sitting on the potty herself, but then be able to transition her to the regular toilet. I love the potty I found!!!

This is a 3-in-1 potty. It can be a potty that sits on the floor, then you can take the top off and put it on a regular toilet, and if you put the top down it becomes a stepping school. I made a big deal about buying the potty and Katelyn watched me put it together for her. We picked a spot in the bathroom for it and she immediately wanted to sit down. Not wanting to push it on her and make the potty experience a negative one, I put her on it with her clothes on. Then talked to her about what we do in the potty and how this is her very own potty. Then we took off her diaper and tried it out. She would sit there for 15-30 minutes at a time and read a book or magazine. She'd get up and look in the potty, then sit down again. It was too cute!!

Then tonight... Kyle and I were talking on Skype and I asked Katelyn if she wanted to show daddy her potty. She said, "yeah," and ran into the bathroom. She immediately wanted to take off her diaper. I warned Kyle that she usually just likes to sit there, but at least she likes the potty, that's all that matters. Then it happened... she went pee pee in the potty. Kyle and I started cheering for her, she got off the potty and pointed to her pee pee. We wiped, and flushed it down the toilet, making sure to wave bye bye to the pee pee. I was so excited that Kyle got to see her use her potty for the first time. I think for the next week or so I'm going to keep putting her on there every couple of hours, then I'm going to stay home for a few days to really work on getting her used to using her potty. First we need to master the words, "pee pee" and "poo poo" or some way for her to communicate to me she needs to go. In the meantime, I'm just so excited that she's enjoying having her own potty to sit on.

Trying out her new potty. "Thanks Mommy and Daddy"
Using the top party of her potty on the big toilet.
Showing Mommy and Daddy how it's done!
Her very first pee pee in the potty!!! I'm a proud Mommy!

1 comments:

Joanne said...

Did you ever think as you were getting your Master's degree that having your daughter pee pee in the potty would be a major highlight of your life?? :) It is such a joy to be a mom!