Monday, September 10, 2007

A Weekend Getaway!


After a very hectic first three days of school, Kyle and I packed up the car and headed for the hills. My cousin Jamie, her husband Andrew, and their puppy Lucy joined us for a relaxing weekend in Big Bear. If there is any spot where you feel completely surrounded by the wonders God has created, it's in Big Bear. The air is clean, the trees are green, and the fast pace life the the city is non-existent. Sometimes it's a good idea to take a break and gain a new perspective on the world around you. Saturday night we took a dip in the spa, and with all the lights out we could actually see the Milky Way!! Words cannot even begin to express the amazingness (is that a word, if not, it is now) layed out before us. Looking at the night sky, I'm not sure how anyone could dispute God's existence and His perfect plan when he created us. No matter what anyone says, we did not evolve into the "creatures" we are today.

With a weekend of basking in the warm sun, napping, spending time with family, bowling, and eating at our favorite local spot, The Grizzly, Kyle and I were refreshed and ready for a new week. We have several meetings this week, so last weekend was the perfect time to take a short vacation.

On a side note, the first three days of school went really well and I'm looking forward to a new year of teaching. I'm excited to try out new lesson plans I've created. We have over 100 students in the middle school this year, so I'm working hard to learn all our sixth graders, and new students names as quickly as possible. Last week we had three minimum days so it was a lot of talking and establishing the classroom environment and expecations for the year. Today we began our full day schedule and to be honest, I'm not as tired! I know that sounds strange, but we were able to dive into the curriculum and I didn't feel as rushed. Friday we are taking the middle schoolers to the beach on a field trip. I'm praying for nice weather in the 70's or 80's, otherwise we all know I will burn!! Thank you for all your prayers last week, please continue to pray for me and my students this year.


Kyle and I at our favorite bowling alley in Big Bear


Here we are being goofy for the camera


I know Kyle looks so serious in this picture, but I really like how it came out so I couldn't resist putting it on here.

1 comments:

Palmer Family said...

Hi Guys! Thanks again for such a fun weekend! Hopefully we can do it again soon! Andrew feel so bad about putting your dry food in our car!:(