Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tummy Bug

After a busy week of being out of the house, Katelyn and I returned home on Saturday.
sigh*
It felt so great to be home. We love being at the beach house, 
but, 
there's something about sleeping in your own bed. We all went to bed early on Saturday night and woke up with Katelyn around 9:30 the next morning.
I was thrilled to have slept in so late.
I walked in the nursery
it's smelled so bad
Katelyn had thrown up dinner from the night before!
Poor baby girl was so tired that even though she threw up she didn't wake up crying, she simply crawled to the other side of her crib and went back to sleep.
I got her up, nursed her, and put her in the tub. This was only the beginning of a long day.
No sooner had she gotten out of the tub and dressed, she threw up again, and again, and again.
Immediately she started running a temperature and all she wanted to do was sleep.
I called the doctor on call. He said cool baths, Pedealyte and lot's of rest and to come see him on Monday.
Katelyn spent the whole day throwing up everything she nursed until her 8:30 feeding.
yeah!
progress!
Got her in the tub again, and snug in her jammies and in bed. She slept in 4 hours shifts waking up to nurse. 
Ok, she sleeps through the night so my poor milk ducts are working on overdrive trying to keep up with all the milk she's drinking.
At least she's eating I tell myself
Monday we woke up and she just wanted to sleep in the rocking chair on mommy. I had already spent all day Sunday there, what's another day. So grateful for the rocking chair!
Got a doctor's appointment at 3:45, by this time I'm worried she's dehydrated and I'm going to end up in the ER. Kyle's in LA with Bidwell in meetings and I'm praying I don't have to call and tell him to meet me at Mission Hospital.
Before we even make it to the doctor's Katelyn starts having diahria. Poor baby, what next?!
The doctor says, she's not dehydrated and is surprised by how well she looks considering the fever,  and throwing up.
Relief!
He tells me the diaheria is the tail end of the tummy bug and that I should start seeing some improvement soon. 
Came home, ate some dinner. Katelyn ate pasta and Cheerios. She stayed awake playing and watching Dancing with the Stars and finally nursed and went to bed at midnight.
Today she woke up feeling much better. She's already danced with Elmo, and eaten her apple bananas.
Praise Jesus! Thank you for all your prayers!

2 comments:

FRANSZTASTIC said...

it's horrible when our babies are sick! it sounds like you handled it really well! hang in there....and get some rest while she rests :)

Meygan said...

Kylie has never had the flu or even thrown up. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. I am glad she is feeling better. And soon enough she will be back to her happy self!