Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Hawaiian tradition...

In my family it's a tradition,  since my Dad's family is from Hawaii, for a Grandma or Great Aunt to give a Hawaiian name to new babies born into the family. When I was born, I was given the Hawaiian name Kama Kana WeWehi O'Kalani, which means "precious gift of heaven." I was given this name because my mom had Endometriosis and couldn't get pregnant. When she accepted Christ into her life, He healed her and she became pregnant. They were also blessed with my brother. Because of this it was extremely important to Kyle and I that Katelyn have a Hawaiian name and so we asked my Grandma if she'd give Katelyn one. We wanted to include it on her dedication certificate. Last night my grandma emailed us to say that she wanted to give Katelyn a prophetic name meaning "seeker of heaven:" Kaimilani. It's so beautiful and suits her so well! I couldn't have picked a better name. Thanks so much Grandma Bachran!!

We can't wait to dedicate Katelyn Renee Kaimilani Circle to Jesus at the end of the month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous and beautiful tradition. so sweet!

Amy Hellewell said...

That's awesome! I love it!