Monday, May 31, 2010

Brayden's 1st trip the ER

Upon returning home from my trip to Cabo Brayden was having a rough time re-adjusting to nursing. He was used to not having to work so hard for his milk and was not enjoying the bonding experience anymore. I tried relentlessly for 4 days to get him to enjoy breast feeding again, but to no avail. I'm sure you are wondering what this has to do with a trip to the ER with Brayden, but I'm getting to it. Thursday night Brayden threw up blood! Yes, blood!!! I'm not one to panic or rush my kids to the doctor let alone the ER, but blood is a whole different story. I called Kyle who was out at a business dinner to inform him that I was on my way to Hoag Hospital, that Brayden threw up blood and if he would meet me there for moral support. As if I needed to ask... Brayden was checked in and seen by a doctor right away. They asked me several questions such as:
-am I nursing? YES
-have there been any changes in the way Brayden's been nursing? YES
-am I sore from nursing? YES!
By this time it had been over an hour since Brayden had thrown up blood and now all that was coming up were the sweet peas he'd eaten for dinner. Praise Jesus!! The doctor explained to me that most likely Brayden was nursing too aggressively, which most likely caused some bleeding (which I didn't realize) and that the intake of blood cause his upset tummy resulting in him throwing up the blood. Gross right?! Sorry! I'm trying not to be too graphic. Needless to say I'm back to pumping several times a day and Brayden is a happy camper as am I. While I miss nursing I'm thankful for my new breast friend (hhahaha) the Medela pump so that I'm able to still give Brayden mommies milk. Hopefully we won't be making a trip to the hospital again any time soon for either child.





1 comments:

Misty Sedehi said...

SO scary Alissa!! I am glad your handsome little guy is okay!